Food Pantry

The Food Pantry at Purity Presbyterian Church on Vimeo.

We at Purity Presbyterian Church are very proud of the success of the Chester Ministerial Association’s Food Pantry.  Although founded and housed at Purity Presbyterian Church, it  is actually a joint effort of about 20 area participating churches.  It requires an excess of over 100 volunteers to keep this program running.   We depend on their volunteer support, donations from some major contributors, area churches, and individuals in our community to maintain this program.

We are an all volunteer organization which allows us to use an average of 95% of the donations for food expenses.  The other 5% has to be used for expenses such as refrigeration and office supplies.  We encourage everyone to compare this to other charitable organizations and you will find we far exceed the vast majority of the organizations in being excellent stewards of your donations.  Our annual budget averages around 50,000 dollars per year.  We partnered with Harvest Hope Food Bank a couple years ago which has allowed us to stretch each dollar even more.

A couple of years ago we began a “client choice” program which allows each client to select so many items from different food groups.  We have also increased the eligibility requirements from every 8 weeks to every 6 weeks.  We have very few requirements to qualify.  We simply want to give a helping hand to those in need in our community.  Some of our requirements are:

  • Picture ID – preferably a driver’s license
  • Proof of residence
  • Only one client per residence
  • Complete application
  • Live in Chester County
  • Served by appointment only
  • You make your appointments
  • You will not be served if under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Our volunteers will not be subjected to rudeness or bad behavior